Header Image for Monk Sherborne Parish Council

Council

The operation of rural and parish councils in England and Wales came about as a result of the Local Government Act 1894.  Until this time, powers and duties in the community had been administered by the Churchwardens and Overseers of the poor.  However, these functions were then transferred to the newly created Parish Councils, which therefore came to constitute the lowest level of Local Government.  In England this basic structure remains the same today.

Parish Councils are an essential part of the fabric of local democracy in this country and play a key role in our villages.   They operate as non-political bodies serving the community by dealing with local issues and working closely with the borough councils to keep them in touch with the needs of the people from smaller communities.

The Monk Sherborne Parish Council area consists of Monk Sherborne, plus a section of the neighbouring village of Charter Alley.  It is a member of the Hampshire Association of Parish and Town Councils, which is a central body providing guidance and assistance on matters relating to the running of parishes.